Frequently Asked Questions
How do I activate my SIM Card?
To activate your PTEL SIM card, you'll first need to confirm the following:
- You have the correct size SIM card for your phone
- You have a PTEL Activation Card/Pin
- You have an unlocked GSM phone
If you answered yes to all of the above, you're ready to get started activating your SIM card and begin enjoying PTEL Mobile service.
Simply visit the Activatation page and follow the easy steps to activate your SIM.
If you do not have a PTEL Activation Card/Pin, you can purchase one by contacting Customer Service at 866-CALL-ME-1, or by visiting an Authorized Reseller near you.
My SIM won't activate, what do I do?
What do I do after I've activated my SIM?
Congrats on activating your new PTEL Mobile service! Your next step is to set up your online account so you can manage your service, even right from your phone. You'll be able to see your usage, add & remove features, and much more.
And of course, you'll want to tell all your friends and family about PTEL!
Can I activate more than one SIM on my account?
How can I change my plan?
You can easily change your plan by calling our Customer Service Department at 866-CALL-ME-1 or 611 right from your PTEL phone.
What is Refer-A-Friend Program?
Ptel's way of showing our appreciation! You refer a new customer to us and you get a reward.
The referring customer gets a free month of service (the value of their unlimited everything plan) or $10 if they're on Paygo.
Current customer referring new customers. Once new customer loads their second month of service, the referring customer gets a free month (value of plan or $10 if they're on Paygo).
How many new customers can I refer?
Referrer is eligible to receive up to 12 referral rewards in a calendar year.
How do I refer someone?
Just tell your friends and family about us and sit back and enjoy the rewards!
During the checkout process the new customer is asked if they were referred by an existing PTel customer. All they have to do is provide the 10-digit phone number of the person who referred them.
Do I get a reward for previously referring a new customer?
This is a new program. Only future referrals will count.
Where can customers learn more about program?
The terms of the program are accessible by clicking the "?" button next to the referral number box on the check out page. The terms can also be accessed by visiting our Terms of Service page.
My friend did not enter my number at the time of checkout, can I still get the credit?
No. The number must be entered at point of purchase.
If I purchased the service at a PTel authorized retail store, can I still get the credit?
No. Only purchases performed on ptel.com qualify. This is an online promotion. Purchases at retail stores or on other websites do not qualify.
Data / APN Settings
How do I configure my iPhone for PTel?
Easy, watch this instructional video for a step-by-step tutorial of how to set up your iPhone APN settings.
Need more help? Click here for more help.
How do I configure my Android device for PTel?
Easy, watch this instructional video for a step-by-step tutorial of how to set up your Android APN settings.
Need more help? Click here for more help.
Does PTel Mobile Offer Auto-Pay?
Yes, we created this feature so that our customers have one less thing to remember to take care of.
What are the benefits of using the Auto-Pay feature?
The benefits of auto-pay include peace of mind and convenience of never missing a payment.
How do I set up Auto-Pay?
You can set up auto-pay by creating a new account or updating your existing account while logged into your account. Auto-Pay only takes a few minutes to set up. The status of your account must be active.
Simply follow these easy steps:
1. Activate Account
2. Create online account
3. Set up payment method by adding payment card information.
4. Confirm the amount to pay, choose the payment card, agree to terms, and select “Start Auto-Pay”.
What type of card can I use to set-up Auto-Pay?
You may use any valid major credit card or debit card to enroll in auto-pay.
When will my account be charged?
Your account will be charged/debited on the day your access days expire or on the day your balance reaches $0 (whichever occurs first).
How does the charge appear on my statement?
The charge will appear as PlatinumTel Communications on your statement.
Can I have more than one payment method?
Yes, you may add multiple payment cards. The last card selected will be billed unless you log into your account and update your settings.
Can I delete a payment method?
Yes, you can easily remove a payment method by selecting the “STORED PAYMENTS” option to the right and clicking the “remove” button next to the stored payment method.
How do I cancel or de-enroll from Auto-Pay?
You may cancel/de-enroll your auto-pay enrollment by logging into "My Account" at ptel.com. While logged into "My Account" on ptel.com, you simply click on the "AUTO-PAY" option to the right and scroll down and click on "Stop Auto-Pay". You must de-enroll from the auto-pay service otherwise your account may still be charged/debited. You may also call PTel Mobile Customer Care at 866-CALL-ME-1 or dial 611 from your PTel Mobile handset. De-enrolling your account may take up to 10 business days.
Will I be notified if there are any issues with my payment method?
Yes, we will send you a text message alerting you that we were unable to process your auto-pay top-up and request that you review your saved payment card information. Sometimes a payment cannot be processed because the card has been cancelled or the expiration date has changed. If that’s the case, please remove the current card and add the new card information.
What if my payment is declined and/or returned?
Your service may be suspended if we are unable to process your payment. If this occurs, you should confirm that your payment card information is up-to-date. You may be imposed NSF or chargeback fees by the credit processor.
Does PTel Mobile notify me when my method of payment expires?
PTel Mobile does not notify customers when the payment card expires. We recommend that you add a reminder to update the expiration date so that there are no disruptions to your service.
How can I purchase airtime?
You can purchase airtime
- by creating an online account https://www.ptel.com/account/login
- by dialing 611 from your handset
- by dialing 866-2-REFILL from your handset
- from over 36,000 locations nationwide. Click here to find a location near you.
What is MoneyGram?
MoneyGram is a payment service company that is available at store locations such as Walmart, CVS, and other locations where MoneyGram is accepted. It is not a free-standing retailer. "TheMoneyGram” brand is recognized throughout the world as a leading global payment services company.
Where can I find a MoneyGram location?
To locate a store please click here to find a location near you. Enter your zip code and make sure the box next to ‘Show locations to purchase airtime’ is checked. Enter the security code shown and then hit search. You will be given a list of locations where you can purchase airtime at MoneyGram and store locations.
Steps on how to process a payment with MoneyGram will be provided if you hover over the MoneyGram logo in the search results.
What do I need to bring with me to make a MoneyGram payment?
You simply need to bring the following:
- Company Name (PTel Mobile)
- Receive Code (14699)
- Account Number (10 digit mobile number)
- Cash or Debit Card
- CVS Pharmacies and all other locations accept cash only
- Walmart accepts cash and debit cards only
How do I make a payment at a CVS Pharmacy location?
Making a payment at a CVS Pharmacy is initiated by using the red MoneyGram phone. Additional steps are below.
1. Pick up the MoneyGram phone – you do not need to dial a number, it will automatically connect you directly to a MoneyGram representative.
2. The system will welcome you to MoneyGram and ask you to select 1 for English or 2 for Spanish.
3. In the unlikely event that the system can’t identify where you are calling from, it will ask you to provide the kiosk ID number. This number is located on the phone kiosk you are calling from, starts with the letter K, and has 5 numeric digits. Using your telephone keypad enter the 5 numbers after the K (do not enter a number to represent the K).
4. It will then ask you to select your transaction type from the following. Select option 2. To pay a bill, load a card or phone, press 2.
5. It will then ask you to narrow down your transaction type by selecting one of the following. Select option 3. To top-up a mobile phone, press 3.
6. You will then be prompted to use the keypad to enter your transaction details. After each entry you will be asked to confirm the information you provided.
- First you will be asked to enter the amount you wish to top-up to the mobile phone followed by the pound or hash key, using the star key for the decimal point.
- You will then be asked for your telephone number starting with the area code first and followed by the pound or hash key.
7. You will then be asked if you have the receive code for your transaction. You will press 1 and then enter PTel Mobile receive code (14699).
8. You will then be connected to a live MoneyGram representative who will confirm your transaction details, including your telephone number, name, address, and top-up amount and ask for your account number (PTel phone number).
9. The representative will tell you when your transaction is set-up and you can proceed to the cashier at the retail location for completion.
- Tell the cashier you are completing a MoneyGram Express Payment and provide them your last name and load amount to look up your transaction.
- The cashier will collect the load amount and provide you a receipt with a reference number should you have any questions about your transaction afterwards.
Note: The Form of payment accepted at CVS MoneyGram is Cash only.
How do I make a payment at a Walmart or other retail location?
Making a payment at a Walmart location is initiated by using the blue MoneyGram form which can be found at the Customer Service front desk. You can ask a store representative for assistance with any questions.
You will need to include the following information on the MoneyGram ExpressPayment blue form:
- Full Name (add your name)
- Address (add your address)
- Telephone Number
Under the Pay a bill section, you need to include the following:
- Company Name: PTel Mobile
- Receive Code: 14699
- Account Number of the Bill to Pay: Your PTel Mobile Phone Number
- Amount to Pay: Add the payment amount you would like to top-up
Note: The Forms of payment accepted at Walmart’s MoneyGram are Cash and Debit only. All other locations accept cash payments only.
What is PTEL Mobile?
PTEL Mobile is a prepaid wireless service on a nationwide GSM network, giving you wireless voice and data services on a prepaid basis. PTEL Mobile is a brand of PlatinumTel Communications, offering affordable prepaid wireless service since 2001.
Can I use the phone number I had with my old carrier?
Yes. You can port your existing phone number from a different carrier to PTEL. This process can take 24-72 hours. To port your number to PTEL, you may either contact PTEL Customer Service at 866-CALL-ME-1, or go to "ACTIVATE" and select "I need to port my existing number".
How is PTEL different from other prepaid wireless providers?
PTEL offers "clean service", meaning what you see is what you get. We detail our rates very clearly for you in the plans section. Also PTEL offers prepaid wireless plans that cover a wide array of usage patterns. So whether you're the casual cell phone user, use your cell phone heavily, or need it only for emergencies, we have a plan for you.
I've read somewhere that PTEL is an MVNO, what does that mean?
PTEL Mobile is a Mobile Virtual Network Operator or MVNO. An MVNO is a network operator that does not own the underlying network. PTEL Mobile has arrangements with major Host Network Operators (HNO) that grant PTEL access to these HNO's networks to carry voice and data traffic over. Not having to manage the physical network, PTEL can concentrate its efforts on bringing class-leading service to its subscribers.
How do I get PTEL Mobile service?
Is call blocking available?
PTEL does not offer call blocking services at this time. Certain phone models may have the option to block numbers.
What are the benefits of a prepaid wireless plan?
A prepaid wireless plan with PTEL Mobile means that you do not have to commit to long-term contracts. You also will not have to commit to a deposit. The service is available to everyone over thirteen years of age. With prepaid cell phone service, you will also be able to control and limit your spending.
How can I change my plan?
You can contact our customer service department to request a plan change. Before submitting a request for a price plan change, you must purchase additional airtime for the new plan.
Step 1: Purchase Cash Top-Up
- Enter Top-Up Amount (amount of the new plan)
Step 2: Contact Us
- 866-CALL-ME-1 (866-225-5631)
- Chat with us
- Write to us
- Dial 611 from your device
Will I lose the remaining days of service and balance left on my account?
If switching from an Unlimited plan, your account balance will be prorated. The remaining airtime balance will be applied towards the next monthly payment. Your 30 day cycle will reset once the plan change has been completed.
If switching from a PayGo plan to Unlimited plan, the remaining airtime balance will be applied towards the new plan selected. The Unlimited 30 day cycle will begin once the plan change has been completed.
How long does it take to change the plan?
Price plan changes may take 10-15 minutes to complete.
What is a spam text message?
Text message spam is unwanted or unsolicited text messages sent to mobile phones often from commercial advertisements.
What can I do to stop spam calls and text messages?
Most importantly you should NOT reply or text STOP to spammers. This will just confirm that your number is in use, and you will receive even more virtual spam.
What can I do to stop spam calls and text messages on my iPhone?
For iPhones users who have iOS 7 or later installed on their phones:
- Open the message and tap Details
- Next, tap the little i button
- A contact card will appear for the spammer who sent the message
- Scroll down the screen and tap Block this caller (this should block the spammer from sending you anymore spam messages).
Note: If you would like to see all the numbers and iMessage users you have blocked, tap on Settings, Messages, and scroll down the screen and tap Blocked. From here you may remove someone from your blocked list.
What can I do to stop spam calls and text messages on my Android?
- First go to your Messaging Inbox. Find the spam text message, press and hold the spam message to open two options available: Delete or Register spam number
- Select Register spam number, by selecting this option it will help divert future spam messages from this number to your Spam Box
- To access your Spam Box, go to the Messaging icon then select the menu button and click on Spam Box or Spam Messages
For spam text messages from an email address:
- Open the spam text message and identify keywords that are repeated
- Return to your Messaging (text message) Inbox
- Select the Menu button
- Select Settings
- Scroll down the Settings page, find and click on Spam message. A list of options should appear, make sure the box next to Block Spam is checked
- Next select Spam words
- Tap on the + icon to add one of the repeated phrases you took note of in the spam text
- Then click Save
- To check your spam text message folder, click on Messaging (Inbox) icon and press the Menu key then select Spam Box or Spam messages
Note: Please be sure to choose the phrase/words you are adding wisely as you could potentially spam valid messages. Also note that options may vary depending on the Manufacturer/Android version your phone is running.
What are some apps I can download to block spam text messages/calls?
There are plenty of apps in the Play store that are available for download. Below are some of the most downloaded and recommended.
- Mr. Number-Block calls & spam
- Whitepages Caller ID & Block
- SMS Blocker Clean Inbox
Is there somewhere I can register my number to stop receiving spam texts and calls?
Yes, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has created the National Do Not Call Registry, where you can register your mobile number to stop receiving spam text messages and calls. You can also file complaints and verify your registration on the FTC’s website.
Rating & Billing
What is the per-minute rate?
Can I use PTEL service outside of the US?
PTEL offers Nationwide Coverage, therefore service can be used in the US only. The International rates provided are for calls made from the US to another country.
Do I get billed extra for long distance and roaming calls?
Absolutely not. PTEL offers nationwide no-contract cell phone service. Domestic long distance and on-network roaming are available to PTEL subscribers at no additional charge. PTEL does not offer roaming services.
How many different types of prepaid cards does PTEL offer?
PTEL offers the following cards and payment options:
- Airtime Top-up Cards/PINs: Available in $10, $20, $30, $40, $50, and $100 denominations, these cards/PINs work across multiple products. All of these denominations can be loaded to the Real Paygo plan. If you are on an Unlimited plan, you must load either the $20, $25, $30, $40, $50 or $60 Top-up/PIN in order to replenish your account.
- Cash Top-up: This option is available online at ptel.com and at participating retailers. Customers can load any refill amount between $10 and $150. Customers on an Unlimited plan must load either $20, $25, $30, $40, $50 or $60 in order to maintain service.
How about other billing information, such as international dialing?
International Dialing rates vary depending on the destination. For more information visit our International Rates page or contact PTEL customer service at 866-CALL-ME-1.
Account Status & Information
How can I check my airtime balance?
You can check your airtime balance in the following ways:
- dial #BAL# from your phone (you will receive a FREE message with your balance)
- send SMS with the word BAL to 7801
- log into your online account
- dial 611 from your handset to speak with a friendly customer service representative
Is there a minimum balance required to keep my account active?
In order to keep your account active, you must maintain a minimum balance of $.50 on your Real Paygo account or the full balance must be available on the Unlimited everything plans.
Why would my account get suspended?
- Your access days have expired. Access days are the days of service that you have prepaid for. Access days vary depending on your plan and the top-up card denomination you loaded onto your account.
- Your airtime balance is below the required minimum.
- Fraudulent activity is suspected on the account such as cloning or extremely high usage (this is for your own protection). In this case, please contact our customer service staff at 866-CALL-ME-1.
- Tethering or misuse of Unlimited Data capabilities. Unlimited Data services are extended to subscribers for use directly from their handset. Connecting your laptop or desktop computer to your PTEL phone to access the Internet is not allowed.
- Any violation of the PTEL terms and conditions
Do my minutes carry over from month to month?
This depends on the product you have subscribed to. For Real Paygo subscribers, the minutes are good for 365 days on all plans
You should not confuse minute validity with access days or service days. If minutes are valid for 90 days, you are still required to have access days to use minutes.
When will you cancel my account?
PTEL extends a grace period of 30 days to its customers to redeem a new top-up card or PIN to maintain their service. If, after the expiration of your access days you let a period of 30 days or longer lapse without loading another card or PIN, your account will be cancelled. In this case, if you still wish to maintain PTEL Prepaid cell phone service, you should contact customer service at 866-CALL-ME-1 or find an Authorized Reseller near you, and you will be assigned a new wireless number.
If your Real Paygo account is inactive for a consecutive 60 days, the account will be disabled.
Bring Your Phone Number To Us
Can I transfer my existing phone number to PTEL?
You can transfer your current wireless or landline phone number to PTEL with Local Number Portability (LNP). Make sure to request the port in option at the time of activation.
What is Local Number Portability or LNP?
What is the process to port my number?
The process to port your number is simple! You can submit a port request here. The port is sent to the old service provider to verify your account is eligible to port. Your account needs to be active and the information you provide needs be accurate to avoid delays in the porting process.
How long will the process take?
Do I have to deactivate my account with my old service provider?
Will I be able to use my existing handset?
Will features convert from one carrier to another?
Do I continue to pay my existing carrier?
What information will I need in order to bring my number to PTEL?
To port your number to PTEL, you will need to provide us with the following information:
- Phone number to be ported
- Full name
- Home address
- Account number (if applicable)
- Account password (if applicable)
Note: The information you provide us must match the information registered with your current provider to avoid any delays in the porting process.
Does PTEL include free services with new service?
Definitely! All plans include the following free services:
- Voicemail: It's OK if you're too busy to answer the phone, they can just leave you a message. Airtime rates may apply if you check your voicemail from your PTEL phone
- Call Waiting: This service gives you the ability to receive a call even when engaged on another call.
- Caller ID: See who's calling you before you answer.
- 3-Way Calling: Talk to 2 other people at the same time, on one phone call. Airtime rates may apply for both calls.
- Online Account Management: Set up your online account and you can check your balance, view your call records, view your airtime load history, as well as keep your information updated. Create your online account now.
Can I use short codes?
Yes, short codes are available to PTEL Mobile customers! Some short codes from outside vendors may not be supported.
Short codes allow you to quickly access services and account information from your device free of charge. Enter the short code and press the SEND or CALL key on your device to initiate the short code and display the requested information.
Please see the list below for a complete list of PTEL'S network short codes.
|Name||Short Code||Short Code w/Numbers||Description|
|Display PTel Mobile Phone Number||#NUM#||#686#||Shows you your PTel Mobile phone number. You can even perform this while using your device.|
|Reset Voicemail Password||#PWD#||#793#||Resets your voicemail password to the last 4 digits of your PTel Mobile number.|
|Turn Voicemail Password On / Off||#PWO#||#796#||Turns your voicemail password on or off.|
|Display Device IMEI||--||*#06#||Displays your device's IMEI number.|
|Block Your Caller ID||--||
|Block your outbound Caller ID information on a per call basis by dialing #31# or *67 followed by the phone number you wish to dial.|
|Call PTel Customer Care||--||611 [SEND]||Contact PTel Mobile customer service free of charge.|
|Check Your Balance||#BAL#||#225#||Dial #BAL# from your phone and you'll receive a free SMS with your account balance.|
|Check Your Balance (Via SMS)||PT01||7801||Text the word BAL to 7801 and you'll receive a free SMS with your account balance. You may also receive informational messages from PTel from this shortcode.|
Does PTel Mobile offer visual voicemail?
At this time, PTel Mobile does not support visual voicemail services. If your phone was originally from another carrier, the visual voicemail application will not work with PTel. Certain phones (Android and iPhone) may be able to download free or low cost visual voicemail applications.
3G/4G/4G LTE Data Services
What are 3G/4G services?
3G/4G refers to a wireless service that utilizes either a 3rd and/or 4th generation network to transfer data to and from your compatible PTEL handset also known as (AWS, HSPA, HSDPA, H+, and WCDMA).
What band does my phone need to access 3G/4G?
A compatible device needs to have PCS Band 2 (1900 MHz) to access 3G/4G speed.
What bands does my phone need to access 4G LTE?
A compatible devices needs to have LTE Band 4 (1700 MHz) and LTE Band 12 (700 MHz).
What is high speed data?
High speed data refers to a service that utilizes a 3G, 4G, or 4G LTE network to transfer data to and from your compatible PTEL handset
What kind of data services can I get on a PTel no-contract handset?
PTEL offers web browsing, picture messaging, access to app stores, and more, on compatible phones/devices. You must have a 3G/4G/4G LTE capable device to enjoy these services.
Do all phones support 3G/4G/4G LTE services?
Not all handsets support 3G/4G/4G LTE services. Visit our Phones page for more information on which phones are 3G/4G/LTE capable.
If you are bringing your own device, please refer to the manufacturer to confirm that it is capable of 3G/4G/4G LTE services
PTEL Mobile does not and will not guarantee that any device not purchased from PTEL will function correctly on the network, or have access to all network resources. PTEL will not support or guarantee service on devices sold by PTEL that have been altered by the user.
For customers bringing their own device, PTEL will provide you with the settings for internet and picture messaging. However, if these devices were not sold by PTEL, we may not be able to provide technical support and/or troubleshooting assistance. We cannot guarantee that, even if the settings are entered correctly, the device will perform as desired.
Important: Phones without the PCS Band 2 (1900 MHz) band will not work on PTEL Mobile's 3G/4G network due to band limitations. In order to connect with the 4G LTE network, a device needs to use both bands: LTE Band 4 (1700 MHz) and LTE Band 12 (700 MHz) (not just one or the other).
What are kilobytes?
My data service is not working properly, what should I do?
The first thing you should check is that the plan you are on offers data, or that you have not reached your account balance, or run out of access days. Next, you can check the data settings on your phone. For details, please see the Bring Your Own Phone section. If you still can't find a solution, please contact our customer service at 866-CALL-ME-1 from a phone other than your PTEL line, to walk through troubleshooting steps.
Please note that if this is not a device that is or has been offered by PTEL, we may not be able to provide technical support and/or troubleshoot the issue. We will do our best to help you resolve your issue.
How can I add data services to my account?
How much does it cost to send and receive picture messages?
Can I send an MMS internationally?
How much does it cost to use data services?
Wi-Fi Calling (WFC)
What is Wi-Fi Calling (WFC)?
Wi-Fi calling is a service that customers may use to place and receive calls over a Wi-Fi network. The service is available at no additional cost, works with certain handsets and requires a special SIM card.
What is required to use Wi-Fi calling?
You will need a Wi-Fi calling capable device and a unique PTel sim card which will enable you to use the Wi-Fi calling feature. Your device must also be a compatible handset in order to use Wi-Fi Calling. Wi-Fi calling is currently not available on iPhones.
Where can I purchase the unique PTel SIM card from?
You can buy a SIM online or you can always call PTel customer service to request a free SIM card.
Is the Wi-Fi calling feature automatically enabled on my device?
No, once you receive your unique Wi-Fi enabled sim card you will need to contact PTel Customer Service to have the feature enabled on your account. You will also need to turn the Wi-Fi calling feature ON. For Android users: set Wi-Fi calling connection preference to Wi-Fi Preferred. Do not set to “Cellular Network Preferred” or “Never use Cellular Network.”
How do I make a call over Wi-Fi?
Phone models vary, in general you will need to make sure Wi-Fi is turned on and that you’re connected to a Wi-Fi network. Open “Apps” and select “Settings”. Under Network connections select “More networks” and select “Wi-Fi Calling.” Make sure the “Wi-Fi Calling” option is turned “On”. You should see a message with your Wi-Fi call status on your notification panel. You should be ready to use this feature if you see “Calls will be made over Wi-Fi”.
Can I call and receive all types of calls?
Yes, you may call all other mobile and landline numbers over Wi-Fi (long distance and international numbers as well). Remember if you’re on a call and leave the area where you’re connected to Wi-Fi then your call will be dropped. You will need to re-dial using the network.
Are all PTel services available while using Wi-Fi calling?
Unfortunately, services such as cell broadcast alerts, emergency alerts, and Wireless Priority Service (“WPS”) may not be available while using Wi-Fi calling.
Can I make an Emergency call to 911 using Wi-Fi calling?
Yes, however unlike calling 911 traditionally the call is made over a Wi-Fi connection and may not work during power or internet outage/disruption or if Internet or PTel services are suspended. Customers must provide their up to date primary address for accounts with the Wi-Fi feature enabled in order to use Wi-Fi calling and must contact PTel customer service if any change in address occurs.
Is text to 911 supported?
PTel’s network supports Text-to-911 everywhere. However, text-to-911 is currently only available in certain markets where 911 call centers, also known as Public Safety Answering Points (PSAPs), have elected to accept emergency text messages from the public. Click here to learn more.
Why is Wi-Fi calling not working?
Some common issues are:
- Your primary address is missing from your PTel account
- Wi-Fi network you are connected to does not allow calling over Wi-Fi
- Device known issue
- Incorrect Wi-Fi password stored
- Low performing router
- Outdated router technology
- Incorrect router channel being used
- Network outage
- Other devices are causing interference
- You may be too far away from the Wi-Fi network range
- Your device is not registered with public Wi-Fi
Why am I having a difficult time hearing my calls when using Wi-Fi calling?
You may be experiencing difficulty with audio if your Internet connection does not meet the minimum download speed of 256 kbps requirement. Also, if you are more than 15 feet away from your Wi-Fi router the quality of your signal will weaken and cause dropped calls and audio issues.
Is there specific Broadband requirements to use Wi-Fi calling?
- At least an 802.11n router, dual-band is recommended for best experience
- At least 2 Mbps upload and download speeds
Why am I experiencing issues with calling specific numbers over Wi-Fi?
You may need to first dial with a 1 + plus the area code, if your contacts are not saved using the 11 digit method please be sure to update your contacts number. For example: 1-866-225-5631.
Why is my phone displaying error "Calling preference cannot be changed during call"?
This error message is displayed when you try to turn on Wi-Fi calling during a call. Wi-Fi calling must be turned on before making a call.
Why is my phone displaying errors 'Connection Error' or 'Poor Wi-Fi signal'?
There may be several causes for this error. More commonly it is due to an internet, Wi-Fi signal, or mobile network problem that may be causing the issue. Also, there may be a problem with the Wi-Fi app.
Solutions to try:
- Check to make sure that your device shows at least 2 bars of Wi-Fi signal and be sure to stay within 15 feet of your router to maintain a strong Wi-Fi signal.
- Check to make sure you are able to browse the web from your device.
- Turn off the Wi-Fi calling feature on your device for 1 minute, and then turn it back on and try to use Wi-Fi calling. If you are using Wi-Fi calling from home, restart your home router by turning it off for 1 minute and then turning it back on. After your home router has fully powered back on try to use Wi-Fi calling.
Note: If you are receiving this error only in a specific location then the internet provider will need to be contacted for further troubleshooting.
Why am I receiving an 'Invalid Sim' or 'Reading SIM' error on my phone?
This error occurs when the app is trying to read the SIM and the SIM is not ready. It may also happen if you are using a non PTel sim card in your phone. To fix this issue power down your phone, remove the sim card, wait 1 minute and then reinsert the sim card and power the phone back on. Be sure to wait 1 minute before turning Wi-Fi calling back on, and then try using Wi-Fi calling.
Signal Booster Registration
What is a Signal Booster?
A signal booster is a device that helps to extend the cellular coverage footprint in areas of weak or poor coverage.
Why do I have to register?
In order to ensure signal boosters are not interfering with cellular coverage the FCC has mandated signal boosters be registered with carriers. Registration must be made available by March 1st 2014. All carriers allowing the use of signal boosters on their network must provide consumers the ability to register the use address of the booster. The carrier can then use this information when troubleshooting network issues. In the event a booster is causing problems on the network registration helps carriers identify and locate the booster. Registration helps to protect consumers and carriers by streamlining network troubleshooting ensuring a positive signal experience.
What data is collected for registration and how will it be used?
The information collected during registration is specific to locating the booster use address and contact information on the user in the event the carrier needs to contact the user about the booster. This information will only be used to locate boosters in the event network issues are believed to be linked to the booster operation.
How do I register?
If you purchased your own booster or have moved from the original use address, you can access the Signal Booster Registration Tool by clicking here. PlatinumTel does not support signal boosters at this time.
More information on the FCC requirements can be found here: http://wireless.fcc.gov/signal-boosters/index.html
What phone can I use with your service?
You can use any unlocked GSM phone with PTEL Mobile. However to take advantage of 3G/4G service the phone must have the AWS 1700/2100 band. See the manufacturer of your phone to confirm which band(s) your phone has.
I don't have my own GSM phone, can I buy one from PTEL?
Yes you can! We offer a variety of GSM phones. Visit our phones page to choose the phone that best fits your needs.
Where can I buy a GSM phone?
Can I use my Blackberry phone?
If you are using a Blackberry device that has BB 10 OS or newer (Z30, Z10, or Q10), you should be able to use all of the functionality of the device.
If you have an unlocked GSM Blackberry, it may work on our service. However, we do not support Blackberry services like Blackberry mail, Blackberry Messenger, or any other BIS or BES features on Blackberry devices using any operating system before Blackberry 10 OS. We cannot guarantee all PTEL Mobile services will function properly on the device.
What is a SIM card?
Do SIM cards come in different sizes?
SIM cards come in many different sizes, however, there are 3 that are most common:
- Mini SIM: This is the most common size and used in most GSM phones = 25mm x 15mm
- Micro SIM: Smaller than the Mini SIM, and becoming more prevalent as it is used in popular phones like the iPhone 4/4S = 15mm x 12mm
- Nano SIM: This is the smallest of the common SIM sizes, and is used in newer phones like the iPhone 5 = 12.3mm x 8.8mm
How do I know which SIM card I need?
Where do I buy a SIM Card?
My friend gave me their old PTEL SIM, can I use it?
No. Once a PTEL SIM has been activated, it can only be used for that account. Even if the account gets cancelled, the SIM cannot be reactivated on another account.
Where does the SIM card go?
Do SIM cards come with a warranty?
Refund, Replacement, & Warranty Information
Can I return my handset?
PTEL allows handsets purchased from www.ptel.com to be returned within 30 days of the date of activation or prior to the use of 300 minutes of airtime, whichever occurs first. PTEL reserves the right to change the return policy terms without prior notice.
Important Note: In order to ensure you continue to receive the best customer service, and are not without your phone, PTEL will ship you your replacement handset prior to receiving the defective handset. You must return the defective handset within 7 days of receipt of your replacement handset, or you agree and understand that PTEL will debit your PTEL account and/or suspend your account, and/or submit your account to collections in the amount of the full cost of the handset you received.
What do I do if my handset is defective?
Contact our customer service department at 866-CALL-ME-1 (866-225-5631) to confirm that you are eligible for a replacement. Additional instructions will be provided on how to handle exchanges. Please note that the warranty will be void and/or not be eligible for replacement or exchange if products returned are physically damaged or not packed properly.
What is covered under the return/exchange policy?
Each handset purchased from www.ptel.com is covered by a 30-day return/exchange policy for mechanical failure. The policy expires 30 days from the initial activation of service. Mechanical failure is defined as failure of the device due to operation, mechanical, or structural failure from defects in materials and workmanship. New handsets are covered by the 30-day warranty as well as a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.
What is not covered under the return/exchange policy?
PTEL will not accept handsets that are returned in a damaged condition. PTEL does not warranty against loss, theft, abuse, misuse improper installation, water damage, or customer negligence. We reserve the right to inspect the items for damage and use. Any items that are returned in a damaged condition will not be accepted. Please note that the warranty will be void if products returned are physically damaged or not packed properly. Handsets must be returned with 300 minutes or less of use. Handsets must be returned in the same condition as received (e.g. no cracks, scratches, liquid damage, or any type of damage to housings). PTEL does not accept "Postage Due" packages. Packages received with insufficient postage will be returned to sender.
What can I do if my phone is passed the 30 day return/exchange policy?
How do I return my handset to PTEL?
- Contact PTEL at 866-CALL-ME-1 (866-225-5631) to request a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) for reference (returns received with an RMA that is incomplete and/or not signed will not be accepted).
- Include all original contents in the return package. Handset and all accessories (handset, accessories, charger, battery/battery cover, and/or activation card) must be packed in the original box, and shipping carton.
- Include completed RMA form in return package.
- Please ensure that there are no other tracking labels attached to your package.
- Include original invoice in return package.
- If provided, please use return label supplied by PTEL.
If a return request does not qualify for a prepaid shipping label, we recommend that you use a shipping service that provides insurance and a tracking method for your return (UPS, FedEx, or USPS). PTEL is not responsible for lost or damaged packages.
Where can I request a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) form?
You may email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact our customer service department by dialing 866-CALL-ME-1 (866-225-5631) to have one sent to you.
The following information is needed to initiate your request:
- Reason for request to refund
- Last four digits of credit card
- Cardholder's name
- P.O Number found on your sales receipt (if available)
Will I be given a refund?
All card sales are final. Airtime is non-refundable. Shipping charges are non-refundable.
Refunds may take up to 30 days from receipt of the package. Refunds will be issued in the same form of payment. No refunds will be issued after 30 days.
Returned packages that are not in compliance with our return policy will be ineligible for a refund and we may return the package to you at your own expense. PTEL reserves the right to impose additional fees in the event the information above is not followed according to our policy. We reserve the right to impose a 20% stocking fee.
Any package(s) refused, returned, or with an invalid address will result in a charge of all shipping fees to your account. When applicable, a refund will be credited to your account, minus all shipping fees.
What are your customer service hours?
Monday - Saturday: 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM (Central)
Sunday: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM (Central)
How can I contact PTEL?
We love to hear from our customers, so we give you plenty of ways to get in touch with us:
- Talk to one of our friendly customer service representatives by calling 866-CALL-ME-1, or 611 right from your PTEL phone.
- Chat online with one of our customer service representatives by clicking the "Chat With Us" link found at the very top of the web page.
- Send us message from our online contact form
- Serve yourself with our Automated Interactive Voice Response System at 866-2-REFILL.
- Send an email with questions about our service directly to our Customer Service Department.
- Send an email with sales questions to Sales.
- Send an email with general questions.
- Get social with us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.