Frequently Asked Questions
CDMA to GSM Transition
What is the CDMA to GSM Transition?
PTel Mobile is transitioning from operating on a CDMA network to a GSM network. We are still offering the great wireless service and rates that you've come to enjoy, now on a different network.
Our new GSM network allows you to bring your own unlocked GSM device to PTel Mobile. Unfortunately your CDMA device will not work on our GSM network.
The final date to transition your account to GSM will be on August 26, 2013. This means you should submit your transition request as soon as possbile.
How do I start the transition process?
We've created a special portal for you to help you with the transition process?
Visit ptelc2g.com and get started today.
How do I order my GSM device?
You should have received your own personalized discount code (check your text messages). If you did not receive one, please visit ptelc2g.com and supply your PTel Mobile number and your coupon code will be provided. Once you have the code, follow these steps:
- Select Phone
- Enter Zip Code
- The SIM portion will automatically pop up, click the 2FF/3FF combi SIM
- The Top-Up portion will automatically pop-up, click desired denomination*
- Proceed to checkout and add coupon code
*A top-up must be added. It can be any denomination and can be loaded at a later time (it doesn't expire).
IMPORTANT NOTE: Following the steps above in the same order is very important. If you do not follow the exact steps (such as adding a SIM first instead of the phone) they will not properly bundle and the coupon code will not work properly.
When do I have to transition?
You must complete the transition by 8/26/13. This means that you must have a GSM phone and your PTel SIM Card in your possession and have submitted your transition request no later than this date.
In order to ensure your service is transitioned properly please submit your transition request immediately. Submissions after this date may not be processed and you risk having your service interrupted and/or losing your number.
How do I keep/transfer my number?
Once you receive your phone, SIM, and plan please visit our special transition portal, ptelc2g.com, to complete the transition process.
- Enter the Zip Code where you will be using your phone
- Enter your PTel mobile number
- Complete the Transition Form - IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE ALL INFORMATION IS COMPLETE AND CORRECT
- Confirm the information is correct and submit
ONLY SUBMIT THIS FORM ONCE. SUBMITTING MULTIPLE FORMS WILL DELAY THE PROCESS AND COULD RESULT IN LOSING YOUR NUMBER.
From there our transition team will process your submission as quickly as possible. Please note that due to the high volume of transition requests this may take up to several days, but we will ensure that your transition request is processed.
- Make sure to use a valid email address in case we need to contact you.
- Ensure the information you enter is 100% correct. Any error can delay the process, and potentially cause you to lose your number.
How long does it take for the transition?
If you submitted all of the correct information, your transition should only take a couple of days. Due to the high volume of transition requests we ask that you be patient while we ensure that every customer's request gets processed in the order it is submitted.
How to make sure your transition isn't delay or rejected:
- Make sure you submit all of the correct information on ptelc2g.com
- Use a valid email address
- Double check that you submitted the correct wireless number
- Only submit one transition request. Multiple transition requests delay the process for everyone and could result in losing your number due to confusion
- Ensure your account is in good standing. While we may be able to transition your account if it is not in good standing, it will delay the process as it requires a manual review and could result in the transition failing, potentially losing your number.
Thank you in advance for your patience through this process.
What happens to my balance?
Once your transition is complete and your new GSM account is active, our system will transfer your old balance within 48-72 business hours. There is no action needed on your part, we will make sure your balance transfers correctly.
In the rare case where your balance transfer does not happen automatically you may contact us using the following methods:
- Via Facebook private message
- Via our Contact Page
- Calling our customer service department
What happens to my online account?
Once you have completed the transition and have your active GSM service you will need to re-create your online account. However, don't worry, all of your old account records are there, including:
- Your call records
- Your loaded cards
- Any purchased airtime that you haven't loaded
New features available in your online account:
- Autobill - you can now set the account to automatically top up your account so you don't have to worry about remembering when to add funds to your account.
- Stored Credit Cards - Save your preferred credit card to your online account so you don't have to search for it when it's time to pay your bill
- Cash Top-Up - Add airtime in any denomination from $10 to $150 to your account.
How do I know the transition happened?
You will receive a message from the transition team that says:
Your number has been successfully ported to PTel Mobile on the new GSM network. Please insert the SIM card and test your phone. Please be informed, after you receive this message, it may take up to 24 hours for service to initiate. After 24 hours, if you do not have service yet, please contact Customer Service at 866-225-5631 for further troubleshooting steps.
Your CDMA account has been deactivated. Therefore, to continue managing your account online, you are required to register your account again at ptel.com/account/new
Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to this email or contact us over the phone at 866-225-5631.
What if there is no GSM coverage in my area?
To check if PTel Mobile's GSM service has coverage in your area visit our transition portal at ptelc2g.com.
If there is no coverage in your area, we want make sure your service is not interrupted. The folks at Ting have been kind enough to offer you a $25 credit for signing up with their service. And you can keep your CDMA device.
We understand how important your wireless service is, so we have teamed up with Ting to help you keep your CDMA service.
Ting is a CDMA service provider that operates on the nationwide Sprint CDMA network. You can take your number AND your device to Ting, plus they'll give you a $25 credit to get started. There are no contracts to sign. They offer agressive pay as you go rates and have a full line-up of CDMA devices for you to choose from, if you decide it's time for a new phone.
How do you get started?
- Visit The PTel Ting page and click Get Started.
- Click the tab to Bring your Own Device to Ting.
- Enter the ESN (electronic serial number) associated with your phone and it will be brought over to Ting.
- Enter the number you want to bring over ("port") to Ting and sign up for a Ting account.
- They'll associate your PTel phone with your new Ting account in the background.
If you start the process before you turn in for the evening, your phone will be back up and running when you get up in the morning.
They're here to answer your questions anytime Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm ET: Just give them a call at 1-855-846-4389.
What happens if I don't transition in time?
If you do not complete the transition in time, there is a chance that you will lose your mobile number. It is important that you complete the transition process by no later than 8/26/13 to ensure that your service is not interrupted and/or terminated.
What happens if I choose not to transition?
If you do nothing by 8/26 you risk having your service terminated and/or losing your number.
Please choose from these options:
- Transition to GSM - visit ptelc2g.com to begin the process
- Switch to Ting - Ting is offering PTel CDMA customer the ability to start new service with them and receive a $25 credit. Please note that PTel is not affiliated with Ting.
- Switch to a different CDMA carrier. There are many CDMA carriers that should offer you the ability to port your number and keep your CDMA device. Due to the large number of companies we cannot list all of them, however a simple Internet search should give you the answer you're looking for.
Please note that if you choose options 2 or 3 and decide to leave PTel Mobile, we will send you a refund of the balance left on your account. Once have decided to leave PTel, please contact PTel customer service at 866-225-5631 to submit your refund request.
How do I activate my SIM Card?
- You have the correct size SIM card for your phone
- You have a PTEL Activation Card/Pin
- You have an unlocked GSM phone
If you answered yes to all of the above, you're ready to get started activating your SIM card and begin enjoying PTEL Mobile service.
Simply visit the Activate page and follow the easy steps to activate your SIM.
If you do not have a PTEL Activation Card/Pin, you can purchase one by contacting Customer Service at 866-CALL-ME-1, or by visiting an Authorized Reseller near you.
My SIM won't activate, what do I do?
What do I do after I've activated my SIM?
Congrats on activating your new PTEL Mobile service! Your next step is to set up your online account so you can manage your service, even right from your phone. You'll be able to see your usage, add & remove features, and much more.
And of course, you'll want to tell all your friends and family about PTEL!
Can I activate more than one SIM on my account?
Data / APN Settings
How do I configure my iPhone for PTel?
Easy, watch this instructional video for a step-by-step tutorial of how to set up your iPhone APN settings.
Need more help? Click here for more help.
How do I configure my Android device for PTel?
Easy, watch this instructional video for a step-by-step tutorial of how to set up your Android APN settings.
Need more help? Click here for more help.
What is PTEL Mobile?
Can I use the phone number I had with my old carrier?
How is PTEL different from other prepaid wireless providers?
I've read somewhere that PTEL is an MVNO, what does that mean?
How do I get PTEL Mobile service?
What are the benefits of a prepaid wireless plan?
Rating & Billing
What is the per-minute rate?
Do I get billed extra for long distance and roaming calls?
How many different types of prepaid cards does PTEL offer?
- Airtime Top-up Cards/PINs: Available in $10, $20, $30, $40, $50, and $100 denominations, these cards/PINs work across multiple products. All of these denominations can be loaded to the Real Paygo plan. If you are on an Unlimited Everything plan, you must load either the $40 or $50 Top-up/PIN in order to replenish your account.
- Cash Top-up: This option is available at participating retailers, and allows the customer to load any refill amount between $10 and $150.Customers on and Unlimited Everything plan must load either $40 or $50 in order to maintain service.
How about other billing information, such as international dialing?
Account Status & Information
How can I check my airtime balance?
To check your airtime balance or load more airtime, dial A D D (233) from your PTEL phone (airtime rates may apply), or dial 866-2-REFILL from any landline phone. You can also check your balance online in the My Account section.
You can also check your balance by sending a free text message to P T E L (7835) with the word "BAL" in the body of the message.
Is there a minimum balance required to keep my account active?
Why would my account get suspended?
- Your access days have expired. Access days are the days of service that you have prepaid for. Access days vary depending on your plan and the top-up card denomination you loaded onto your account.
- Your airtime balance is below the required minimum.
- Fraudulent activity is suspected on the account such as cloning or extremely high usage (this is for your own protection). In this case, please contact our customer service staff at 866-CALL-ME-1.
- Tethering or misuse of Unlimited Data capabilities. Unlimited Data services are extended to subscribers for use directly from their handset. Connecting your laptop or desktop computer to your PTEL phone to access the Internet is not allowed.
- Any violation of the PTEL terms and conditions
Do my minutes carry over from month to month?
This depends on the product you have subscribed to. For Real Paygo subscribers, the minutes are good for 365 days on all plans
You should not confuse minute validity with access days or service days. If minutes are valid for 90 days, you are still required to have access days to use minutes.
When will you cancel my account?
PTEL extends a grace period of 30 days to its customers to redeem a new top-up card or PIN to maintain their service. If, after the expiration of your access days you let a period of 30 days or longer lapse without loading another card or PIN, your account will be cancelled. In this case, if you still wish to maintain PTEL Prepaid cell phone service, you should contact customer service at 866-CALL-ME-1 or find an Authorized Reseller near you, and you will be assigned a new wireless number.
If your Real Paygo account is inactive for a consecutive 60 days, the account will be disabled.
Bring Your Phone Number To Us
Can I transfer my existing phone number to PTEL?
What is Local Number Portability or LNP?
What is the process to port my number?
- Eligibility check to determine if the number is in our local calling area
- Signing the LOA (letter of authorization) authorizing PTEL to port the number on your behalf
- Port request, which is sent to the old service provider to verify if you are eligible to port (account needs to be active and information provided should be accurate)
How long will the process take?
Do I have to deactivate my account with my old service provider?
Will I be able to use my existing handset?
Will features convert from one carrier to another?
Do I continue to pay my existing carrier?
What information will I need in order to bring my number to PTEL?
- Phone number to be ported
- Full name
- Home address
- Account number (if applicable)
- Account password (if applicable)
Does PTEL include free services with new service?
- Voicemail: It's OK if you're too busy to answer the phone, they can just leave you a message. Airtime rates may apply if you check your voicemail from your PTEL phone
- Call Waiting: This service gives you the ability to receive a call even when engaged on another call.
- Caller ID: See who's calling you before you answer.
- 3-Way Calling: Talk to 2 other people at the same time, on one phone call. Airtime rates may apply for both calls.
- Online Account Management: Set up your online account and you can check your balance, view your call records, view your airtime load history, add & remove services, as well as keep your information updated. Create your online account now.
Can I use short codes?
Short codes allow you to quickly access services and account information from your device free of charge. Enter the short code and press the Send (SND) or Call key on your device to initiate the code and display the requested information.
At this time PTel Mobile only supports select short codes. We do not support short codes from outside vendors.
Please see the list below for a complete list of supported short codes.
|Name||Short Code||Short Code w/Numbers||Description|
|Display PTel Mobile Phone Number||#NUM#||#686#||Shows you your PTel Mobile phone number. You can even perform this while using your device.|
|Reset Voicemail Password||#PWD#||#793#||Resets your voicemail password to the last 4 digits of your PTel Mobile number.|
|Turn Voicemail Password On / Off||#PWO#||#796#||Turns your voicemail password on or off.|
|Display Device IMEI||--||*#06#||Displays your device's IMEI number.|
|Block Your Caller ID||--||#31#||Block your outbound Caller ID information on a per call basis by dialing #31# followed by the phone number you wish to dial.|
|Call PTel Customer Care||--||611 [SEND]||Contact PTel Mobile customer service free of charge.|
|Check your balance||--||9080||Text the word BAL to 9080 and you'll receive a free SMS with your account balance. You may also receive informational messages from PTel from this shortcode.|
3G/4G Data Services
What are 3G/4G services?
What kind of 3G/4G services can I get on a PTEL prepaid cell phone?
Do all phones support 3G/4G services?
Not all handsets support 3G/4G services. Visit our Phones section to see which phones we offer that are 3G and 4G capable.
If you are bringing your own device, please refer to the manufacturer to confirm that it is capable of 3G/4G services
PTEL Mobile does not and will not guarantee that any device not purchased from PTEL will function correctly on the network, or have access to all network resources. PTEL will not support or guarantee service on devices sold by PTEL that have been altered by the user.
For customers bringing their own device, PTEL will provide you with the settings for internet and picture messaging. However, if these devices were not sold by PTEL, we may not be able to provide technical support and/or troubleshooting assistance. We cannot guarantee that, even if the settings are entered correctly, the device will perform as desired.
Important: Phones without the AWS 1700/2100 band will not work on PTEL Mobile's 3G/4G network due to band limitations. In order to connect with the 3G/4G network, a device needs to use both the AWS 1700/2100 bands (not just one or the other).
What are kilobytes?
My data service is not working properly, what should I do?
The first thing you should check is that the plan you are on offers data, or that you have not reached your account balance, or run out of access days. Next, you can check you the data settings on your phone. For details, please see the Bring Your Own Phone section. If you still can't find a solution, please contact our customer service at 866-CALL-ME-1 from a phone other than your PTEL line, to walk through troubleshooting steps.
Please note that if this is not a device that is or has been offered by PTEL, we may not be able to provide technical support and/or troubleshoot the issue. We will do our best to help you resolve your issue.
How can I add data services to my account?
How much does it cost to send and receive picture messages?
Can I send an MMS internationally?
How much does it cost to use data services?
What phone can I use with your service?
You can use any unlocked GSM phone with PTEL Mobile. However to take advantage of 3G/4G service the phone must have the AWS 1700/2100 band. See the manufacturer of your phone to confirm which band(s) your phone has.
I don't have my own GSM phone, can I buy one from PTEL?
Where can I buy a GSM phone?
Can I use my Blackberry phone?
What is a SIM card?
Do SIM cards come in different sizes?
- Mini SIM: This is the most common size and used in most GSM phones = 25mm x 15mm
- Micro SIM: Smaller than the Mini SIM, and becoming more prevalent as it is used in popular phones like the iPhone 4/4S = 15mm x 12mm
- Nano SIM: This is the smallest of the common SIM sizes, and is used newer phones like the iPhone 5 = 12.3mm x 8.8mm
How do I know which SIM card I need?
Where do I buy a SIM Card?
My friend game their old PTEL SIM, can I use it?
Where does the SIM card go?
Do SIM cards come with a warranty?
Refund, Replacement, & Warranty Information
Can I return my handset?
PTEL allows handsets purchased from www.ptel.com to be returned within 30 days of the date of activation or prior to the use of 300 minutes of airtime, whichever occurs first. PTEL reserves the right to change the return policy terms without prior notice.
Important Note: In order to ensure you continue to receive the best customer service, and are not without your phone, PTEL will ship you your replacement handset prior to receiving the defective handset. You must return the defective handset within 7 days of receipt of your replacement handset, or you agree and understand that PTEL will debit your PTEL account and/or suspend your account, and/or submit your account to collections in the amount of the full cost of the handset you received.
What do I do if my handset is defective?
Contact our customer service department at 866-CALL-ME-1 (866-225-5631) to confirm that you are eligible for a replacement. Additional instructions will be provided on how to handle exchanges. Please note that the warranty will be void and/or not be eligible for replacement or exchange if products returned are physically damaged or not packed properly.
What is covered under the return/exchange policy?
What is not covered under the return/exchange policy?
PTEl will not accept handsets that are returned in a damaged condition. PTEL does not warranty against loss, theft, abuse, misuse improper installation, water damage, or customer negligence. We reserve the right to inspect the items for damage and use. Any items that are returned in a damaged condition will not be accepted. Please note that the warranty will be void if products returned are physically damaged or not packed properly. Handsets must be returned with 300 minutes or less of use. Handsets must be returned in the same condition as received (e.g. no cracks, scratches, liquid damage, or any type of damage to housings). PTEL does not accept "Postage Due" packages. Packages received with insufficient postage will be returned to sender.
What can I do if my phone is passed the 30 day return/exchange policy?
How do I return my handset to PTEL?
- Contact PTEL at 866-CALL-ME-1 (866-225-5631) to request a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) for reference (returns received with an RMA that is incomplete and/or not signed will not be accepted).
- Include all original contents in the return package. Handset and all accessories (handset, accessories, charger, battery/battery cover, and/or activation card) must be packed in the original box, and shipping carton.
- Include completed RMA form in return package.
- Please ensure that there are no other tracking labels attached to your package.
- Include original invoice in return package.
- If provided, please use return label supplied by PTEL.
If a return request does not qualify for a prepaid shipping label, we recommend that you use a shipping service that provides insurance and a tracking method for your return (UPS, FedEx, or USPS). PTEL is not responsible for lost or damaged packages.
Where can I request a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) form?
You can download one here, or contact our customer service department at 866-CALL-ME-1 (866-225-5631) to have one sent to you.
Will I be given a refund?
All card sales are final. Airtime is non-refundable. Shipping charges are non-refundable. Refunds may take up to 30 days from receipt of the package. Refunds will be issued in the same form of payment. No refunds will be issued after 30 days.
Returned packages that are not in compliance with our return policy will be ineligible for a refund and we may return the package to you at your own expense. PTEL reserves the right to impose additional fees in the event the information above is not followed according to our policy. We reserve the right to impose a 20% stocking fee.
Any package(s) refused, returned, or with an invalid address will result in a charge of all shipping fees to your account. When applicable, a refund will be credited to your account, minus all shipping fees.
What are your customer service hours?
Monday - Saturday: 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM (Central)
Sunday: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM (Central)
How can I contact PTEL?
We love to hear from our customers, so we give you plenty of ways to get in touch with us:
- Talk to one of our friendly customer service representatives by calling 866-CALL-ME-1, or 611 right from your PTEL phone.
- Chat online with one of our customer service representatives by clicking the "Chat With Us" link found at the very top of the web page.
- Send us massage from our online contact form
- Serve yourself with our Automated Interactive Voice Response System at 866-2-REFILL.
- Send an email with questions about our service directly to our Customer Service Department.
- Send an email with sales questions to Sales.
- Send an email with general questions.
- Get social with us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.
- #NoShaveNovember has fallen upon us. That's right ladies,time to hang up the razors & grow wild. Men,we still expect you to keep it trimmed.
- Get the new #nexus5 from the Google Play Store before it's sold out. A great device to use on our #unlimited everything plans!
- Happy Halloween! What are you dressed up as? Let us know during our Facebook #costume #contest and #giveaway! http://t.co/fnaYpbOlYD